AOL, the online news site, features London Doctors Clinic founder and CEO, Dr Seth Rankin, in its article on how a lack of sleep can affect our work life. Quoting LDC’s figures, the article reports that 30% of Britons have trouble sleeping and that 10% suffer from insomnia – and that such lack of sleep costs London £10.9 billion a year.
Tiredness can affect performance in a number of ways:
- You may be less productive
- Your focus might be damaged
- You may not be able to recover from stress properly
- You might be easily irritated
- You’re more likely to become ill!
So, what can you do about it?
- Visit your GP, to check whether there is an underlying medical condition
- Avoid taking naps during the day
- Exercise five times a week
- Skip the stimulants (like caffeine and alcohol), as well as big meals, before bed
- Reduce exposure to screens (because they emit blue light which effects your hormones)
- Create the right sleeping environment by keeping your room cool and dark
- Keep the same sleeping schedule every day